Swiss Paraplegic Research (SPF) is an affiliate of the Swiss Paraplegic Foundation. The mission of SPF is sustainably improving the situation of people with spinal cord injury (SCI) through clinical and interdisciplinary research on a national and international level. Specific areas of its comprehensive research include functioning, social integration, equality of opportunity, self-determination, quality of life, as well as morbidity and mortality. The main research platform of SPF is the Swiss Spinal Cord Injury Cohort Study (SwiSCI). SwiSCI specifically aims providing reliable epidemiological data about SCI in Switzerland to various stakeholders, including researchers, service providers and policy makers.
We are presently looking for a
phd candidate in epid emiology of spinal cord injury
The successful applicant will work with an international and multidisciplinary team of researchers involved in the SwiSCI study. Enrollment as PhD candidate is foreseen at the Graduate School of Lucerne, University of Lucerne, Switzerland. In close collaboration with the Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine (ISPM) of the University of Bern, the curriculum of the candidate will be tuned to the candidate’s specific interests and requirements.
Typical tasks include:
· Performing a systematic review on mortality outcomes in SCI;
· Data management, including data linkage;
· Advanced statistical analysis of available data (including longitudinal and hierarchical models; meta analysis);
· Comparison of mortality outcomes following SCI with the general population;
· Writing of scientific papers
· Master’s degree in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, or Public Health;
· Proficiency in English;
· Interest in epidemiology;
· Strong computational skills;
· Knowledge of bioinformatics and programming skills are an asset;
· Proficiency in application of statistical software package (STATA; SAS; SPSS);
· Ability to work in a team;
· excellent conditions for innovative and vital research in context SCI epidemiology;
· supportive mentoring;
· a full-time PhD position in a stimulating and productive working atmosphere;
· encouragement and support in the publication of scientific papers;
· opportunities to participate in international conferences;
· and good job prospects following successful completion of the PhD.
The position is for 3-4 years.
For further information please contact Dr. Martin Brinkhof, email: martin.brinkhof
Interested? We are looking forward to your written full application. Closure date for the application is 31.07.2012.
Please refer to“PhD Epidemiology SwiSCI” in Email correspondence.
3 to 4 years
as soon as possible
Human Resource Management
Schweizer Paraplegiker-Forschung AG
Guido-Zäch-Strasse 1, 6207 Nottwil, Switzerland