Geneva, 8 May 2012. CERN 1 today signed a contract with the Wigner Research Centre for Physics 2 in Budapest for an extension to the CERN data centre. Under the new agreement, the Wigner Centre will host CERN equipment that will substantially extend the capabilities of the LHC Computing Grid Tier-0 activities and provide the opportunity for business continuity solutions to be implemented. This contract is initially until 31 December 2015, with the possibility of up to four one-year extensions thereafter.
- Medicine - May 22 Roche stellt auf Europas grösstem Kongress für Labormedizin neue, vollautomatisierte Laborlösung vor
- Medicine - May 21 New data from the Novartis chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) portfolio
- Medicine - May 21 Women with advanced breast cancer feel left out of the breast cancer movement
- Architecture - May 21 Auswirkung energieeffizienten Bauens auf Radon- Belastung
- Life Sciences - May 21 Wolke im Kopf
- Life Sciences - May 20 Gesucht: Mehlschwalben
- Medicine - May 17 Novartis drug Afinitor significantly extended time without disease progression in women with HER2 positive advanced breast cancer
- Business - May 17 IfU neu Kollaborationszentrum der WHO
- Medicine - May 17 Découverte d’un gène responsable du syndrome de petite taille sévère
- Astronomy - May 16 Meeresspiegel: Ein Drittel seines Anstiegs kommt von schmelzenden Gebirgsgletschern
- Pedagogy - May 16 Verdoppelung der Studierendenzahl seit Gründung der PH FHNW
- Medicine - May 16 Obinutuzumab (GA101) von Roche reduziert signifikant Progressions- und Sterberisiko bei Patienten mit einer der häufigsten Formen von Blutkrebs
CERN awards major contract for computer infrastructure hosting to Wigner Research Centre for Physics in Hungary
“Installing computing capacity at the Wigner Centre allows us to power additional equipment as well as secure our operations due to the remote nature of the resources” said Frédéric Hemmer, Head of CERN’s IT Department. “For example, should we suffer a prolonged power cut at CERN, we will be able to transfer critical functions to the Wigner Centre, mitigating the risk of having all of Tier-0 in one location.”
“Having a remote site and operations places a lot of requirements on the networking solutions. Together with our commercial, research and education partners we will be looking for state-of-the-art capabilities to connect CERN and Wigner,” added David Foster, Deputy Head of the CERN IT Department.
The Worldwide LHC Computing Grid (WLCG) is a global system organized in tiers, with the central hub being Tier-0 at CERN. Eleven major Tier-1 centres around the world are linked to CERN via dedicated high-bandwidth links. Smaller Tier-2 and Tier-3 centres linked over the Internet bring the total number of computer centres involved to over 140 in 35 countries. The WLCG serves a community of some 8000 scientists working on LHC experiments, allowing them to access distributed computing and data-storage facilities seamlessly.
The CERN Tier-0 currently provides some 30 PetaBytes of data storage on disk, and includes the majority of the 65,000 processing cores in the CERN computer centre. Under the new agreement, the Wigner Centre will extend this capacity with 20,000 cores and 5.5 PB of disk data, and will see this doubling after 3 years.
“This new collaboration between the Wigner Centre and CERN sets a landmark in the history of Hungarian collaboration with CERN,” said Peter Levai, Director General of the Wigner RCP. “A fitting way to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Hungary’s accession to CERN Membership, and an excellent start to the next 20 years.”
The Wigner Centre won the contract following a competitive call to tender.
Last job offers
- Business - 22.5
Senior wissenschaftliche Mitarbeitende / Dozierende (70-100%)
- Business - 22.5
Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeitende / Doktorandinnen & Doktoranden (50-100%)
- Arts - 21.5
Wissenschaftliche/r Mitarbeiter/in (50%)
- Computer Science - 21.5
PhD Candidate in Healthcare Innovation Management
- Arts - 21.5
- Medicine - 21.5
Professeur-e ordinaire ou associé-e et responsable de l’Unité de neurochirurgie pédiatrique
- Computer Science - 15.5
Computer Scientist specialized in Mobile Devices
- Pedagogy - 15.5
Doktorandin oder Doktorand