Updated Gilenya label provides further guidance to healthcare providers regarding treatment initiation with Gilenya in MS patients in the United States
- History - May 24 Promotion des disciplines académiques et développement d’activités de recherche dans les Montagnes
- Chemistry - May 24 Meilleure conductivité des ions grâce au principe de l’empilement
- Physics - May 23 Ein Quantensimulator für magnetische Materialien
- Medicine - May 23 Key vildagliptin data in The Lancet show for the first time individualized HbA1c treatment goals can be reached in elderly type 2 diabetes patients with no major tolerability issues
- Business - May 23 ABB plant Produktion von Photovoltaik- Solarwechselrichtern in Südafrika
- Medicine - May 22 Roche stellt auf Europas grösstem Kongress für Labormedizin neue, vollautomatisierte Laborlösung vor
- Medicine - May 21 New data from the Novartis chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) portfolio
- Medicine - May 21 Women with advanced breast cancer feel left out of the breast cancer movement
- Architecture - May 21 Auswirkung energieeffizienten Bauens auf Radon- Belastung
- Life Sciences - May 21 Wolke im Kopf
- Life Sciences - May 20 Gesucht: Mehlschwalben
- Business - May 17 IfU neu Kollaborationszentrum der WHO
Novartis updates US label on Gilenya following discussions with the FDA
Prescribing information includes patient selection parameters to aid in the identification of candidates for Gilenya treatment
Basel, April 20, 2012 - Novartis announced today agreement with the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on label changes for Gilenya (fingolimod).
The update to the Gilenya prescribing information includes patient selection parameters to aid in the identification of candidates for Gilenya treatment and more specific recommendations for treatment initiation for patients with relapsing forms of MS in the United States. The update marks the conclusion of discussions initiated in December 2011.
The updated FDA label for Gilenya indicates that all patients initiating treatment with Gilenya should have an electrocardiogram (ECG) prior to the first dose of the medicine and after the six-hour first-dose observation period in addition to hourly measurement of blood pressure and heart rate. Additionally, specific initiation guidance for patients is now provided to better aid healthcare providers. Further, there are revised recommendations on how to re-initiate therapy should Gilenya be interrupted.
As of February 2012, approximately 36,000 patients have been treated with Gilenya in clinical trials and in the post-marketing setting.
"Gilenya represents an important treatment option for relapsing forms of MS," said Barry Singer, Director, MS Center for Innovations in Care, Missouri Baptist Medical Center. "Choosing appropriate patients for Gilenya therapy and patient safety is essential."
If therapy is interrupted for patients who are already taking Gilenya, they should undergo the new recommended monitoring upon treatment re-initiation as per the revised recommendations on the duration of interruption depending on duration of prior treatment. Patients should not make any changes to any medications they are taking, including Gilenya, without consulting their doctor.
The label update in the US for Gilenya recommends that patients with certain pre-existing cardiac conditions or those taking certain concomitant medications would require overnight monitoring following administration of first dose of medication, and for some patients prior evaluation with a specialist. Experience with the use of Gilenya in such patients was limited in the pivotal clinical trials.
Gilenya is contraindicated in patients with history or presence of certain cardiac conditions, including heart attack or stroke in the past six months, second- and third-degree AV block and other serious cardiac rhythm disturbances, and in patients treated with certain anti-arrhythmic drugs.
Last job offers
- Social Sciences - 23.5
Dozentin / Dozenten und Projektleiterin / Projektleiter mit Schwerpunkt Theorie und Methodik der Sozialarbeit...
- Business - 22.5
Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeitende / Doktorandinnen & Doktoranden (50-100%)
- Business - 22.5
Senior wissenschaftliche Mitarbeitende / Dozierende (70-100%)
- Arts - 21.5
Wissenschaftliche/r Mitarbeiter/in (50%)
- Computer Science - 21.5
PhD Candidate in Healthcare Innovation Management
- Medicine - 21.5
Professeur-e ordinaire ou associé-e et responsable de l’Unité de neurochirurgie pédiatrique
- Arts - 21.5
- Computer Science - 15.5
Computer Scientist specialized in Mobile Devices