The Master of Advanced Studies in Toxicology provides a specific educational pathway recognized by national and international authorities as a postgraduate qualification in toxicology. It is designed to fulfil the needs of recently graduated students, those who are already in employment and potential employers in industry, academia and regulatory bodies
- To acquire specific knowledge in toxicological sciences, in particular human toxicology, recognized by national and international authorities towards fulfilling the educational requirements of registration as a toxicologist
- To build on basic knowledge in toxicology acquired during pregraduate education
- To better understand the complexity of the different aspects of human toxicology
Graduates employed in a toxicological field who wish to obtain arecognized academic qualification in toxicology. Those who have already received formal postgraduate training in toxicology may be eligible for recognition of equivalence for some courses.
Graduate students wishing to embark on a career in toxicology and who have completed a master in medicine, veterinary medicine, pharmacy, biochemistry, chemistry, biology or a diploma judged as equivalent. Bachelors may be admitted under certain conditions (see admission criteria).
14 modules: Basic principles in toxicology (e-learning)• Xenobiotic metabolism, toxicogenetics • Organ toxicology and pathology • Animal experimentation • Alternative methods to animal experimentation • Mutagenesis, carcinogenesis, teratogenesis • Molecular endocrinology • Clinical toxicology, immunotoxicology • Epidemiology, food and industrial toxicology • Risk assessment and regulatory toxicology • Ecotoxicology • Toxicological analysis • Forensic toxicology • Biostatistics
- Complete course corresponding to ca. 18 week teaching over three semesters on a bloc schedule + e-learning and self-teaching (14 modules)
- Minimum of 80 % attendance by each student to each module
- Possibility to attend individual modules with free-student status if places are available
- Master thesis in academic or industrial environment corresponding to ca. 14 weeks (full time basis)
MAS programme of 90 ECTS credits including 14 modules (60 ECTS credits) and a Master thesis (30 ECTS credits).
Participants who successfully complete the programme (90 ECTS credits) will be awarded the Master of Advanced Studies in Toxicology (Maîtrise universitaire d’études avancées en Toxicologie).
- A responsible person for each module and teaching by specialists in the various areas of toxicology
- Access to dedicated e-teaching tool throughout the course
- Teaching mostly in English (limited teaching in French)
- Possibility of accrediting prior postgraduate education on a case-by-case basis
- Each module accredited by an evaluation
Prof. Jules DESMEULES, University of Geneva
Prof. Eric DOELKER, University of Geneva
Swiss Centre for Applied Human Toxicology, SCAHT • Universities of Lausanne, Zürich and Basel • Centre of Competence in Analytic Chemistry and Toxicology, CCCTA • Swiss Society of Toxicology • Swiss Register of Toxicologists • Centre Ecotox, eawag/EPFL