- Physics - Nov 16 The stacked colour sensor
- Physics - Nov 14 Alloys from the laser printer
- Physics - Nov 7 Muscles out of a spray can
- Astronomy - Oct 30 Claude Nicollier, forever known as the first Swiss man in space
- Physics - Oct 24 Stress test passed
- Medicine - Oct 20 EPFL spin- off Abionic poised to break into the US market
- Physics - Oct 10 From golden emperor to filled Buddha
- Physics - Oct 9 Nobel Prize for Jacques Dubochet
physics and nanotechnology
Faculty Position in Quantum Science and Technology EPFL, Lausanne
PhD student in Spatial Statistics / Epidemiology Universität Bern, Institut für Sozial- und Präventivmedizin
Operation and Process Engineer CERN, Geneva
STI - Postdoctoral Position in Deep Learning Applied to Optical Imaging EPFL, Lausanne
Postdoctoral Fellow in Energy Systems EPFL, Lausanne
Electrical Power Technician CERN, Geneva
Switzerland has been at the forefront of the nanotechnology development curve, contributing enormously to the field through inventions such as the Atomic Force Microscope, the Scanning Tunneling Microscope and many other groundbreaking discoveries like high temperature superconductors. Today, nanotechnology is one of Switzerland’s model industries. The excellent education and the high level of cooperation between the private sector, academic institutions, investors and authorities attracts researchers and nanoscience companies from all over the world.
- These universities have a physics department or a department related to applications in physics: unifr, unil, unige, unibe, unibas, EPFL and ETHZ.
- CERN in Geneva - The European Organization for Nuclear Research, is one of the world’s largest centres for scientific research. Its business is fundamental physics using particle accelerators and detectors.
The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research centre for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. It performs research in Structure of Matter; Energy and the Environment and Human Health. It is an Institute of the ETH Domain .
EMPA is a materials research institute in the ETH Domain, and is active in nanotechnology.
- Swiss Nanoscience Institute SNI in Basel is a network of research groups working in nanoscienes. Several universities and research groups are involved. The SNI combines basic science with application-orientated research.The aim is to research in nanoscale dimensions and to identify and apply pioneering new principles in life sciences, for the sustainable use of resources, and for information and communications technologies. The SNI-webpage provides information about research and events in nanoscience in Switzerland.
The Nanotechnology research program is generating new knowledge, new materials and new applications and is transferring this knowhow to potential users.
Nano-Tera.CH: Le Conseil des EPF a décidé d’allouer 40 millions de francs à l’initiative Nano-Tera.CH. Ce programme est centré sur l’application de micro- et nanotechnologies au design de systèmes embarqués, dans le but d’améliorer les conditions de vie et de sécurité des personnes, par l’observation en temps réel du corps humain et de l’environnement. Le programme est placé sous la coordination du professeur Giovanni de Micheli à l’EPFL.
Web and Societies
The Swiss Physical Society (SPS) understands itself as an open forum of physicists and does not follow any economic interests.
swissphotonics.net or short SLN (Swiss Photonics and Laser Network) is a non-profit association. It is the Swiss national technology platform for photonics and serves as a network for a common vision and growth of the photonics industry.
- Swiss Institute of Particle Physics
Swiss Nanotech Report 2010: Report about recent developments in nanotech industry in Switzerland.
Last job offers
- Medicine/Pharmacology - 16.11
Professeur-e ordinaire ou associé-e, médecin-chef-fe du service de médecine interne de réhabilitation...
- Pedagogy/Education Science - 14.11
Wissensch. Mitarbeiter/in (50 %) Berufspraktische Studien Sekundarstufe II
- Earth Sciences - 14.11
Projektleiter/in für Sicherheitsanalysen von geologischen Tiefenlagern 80 – 100%
- Medicine/Pharmacology - 17.11
Full Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery