Physicists at the University of Basel have developed a minuscule instrument able to detect extremely faint magnetic fields. At the heart of the superconducting quantum interference device are two atomically thin layers of graphene, which the researchers combined with boron nitride. Instruments like this one have applications in areas such as medicine, besides being used to research new materials.
Researchers at the University of Basel in collaboration with colleagues from Pisa have developed a new concept that uses the electron spin to switch an electrical current. In addition to fundamental research, such spin valves are also the key elements in spintronics - a type of electronics that exploits the spin instead of the charge of electrons. The results were published in the scientific journal Communications Physics.
The development of microtechnology in Switzerland was a result of the economic crisis in the watch industry. Beside the classical watch micromechanics, new technologies like electronics, optics, computer technology and microsystems were used in watch construction. Today, microtechnology is one of the key technologies of the 21st century and one of the key sectors in Switzerland’s economy.
- Institute of microtechnology IMT in Neuchâtel.
- CSEM, Swiss Center for Electronics and Microtechnology in Neuchâtel.
- Haute Ecole d’Ingénierie et de Gestion du Canton de Vaud.
- Department of Engineering and Information Technology of the University of Applied Sciences Bern.
Associations and foundations
- The Swiss foundation for research in microtechnolgy fsmr is aiming at promoting microtechnology and its applications. The association provides information, training courses, and consulting in microtechnology.
- Swissmem unites the Swiss engineering, electrical and metal industry and associated technology-oriented sectors.
- Micronarc, is a communication platform created by the governments of the seven cantons that constitute Western Switzerland (Berne, Fribourg, Geneva, Jura, Neuchâtel, Valais and Vaud).
Other associations: here
Partial list of Swiss companies with activities in micro- and nanotechnologies
|· Art of Technology, Zurich
· Colibrys, Neuchâtel
· Contraves Space, Zurich
· Contrinex, Givisiez
· Debiotech, Lausanne
· Dyconex, Bassersdorf
· Dynatron Concept, Adliswil
· EM Microelectronic, Marin
· Fisba Optik, St. Gallen
· Helbling Gruppe, Zurich
· Leica Geosystems, Heerbrugg
· Leister Process Technologies, Sarnen
· LEM, Plan-les-Ouates
· Logitech, Romanel sur Morges
· Microbonding, Noiraigue
· Microcid, Cortaillod
· Micro Crystal Div of ETA, Grenchen
· Miromico, Zurich
· Nanosurf, Liestal
· Nanoworld, Neuchâtel
· Sensirion, Stäfa
· SwissOptic, Heerbrugg
· Sylvac, Crissier
· Valtronic, Les Charbonnières
· Weidmann Plastics Technology, Rapperswil
· Zühlke Engineering, Schlieren
Last job offers
- Computer Science - 23.10
Wissenschaftliche/r Mitarbeiter/in oder Assistent/in Information Security und Privacy 60-100%
- Computer Science - 22.10
Senior Fullstack Entwickler/-in (80-100%)
- Microtechnics - 22.10
R&D Engineer in Optoelectronic Systems (m/f), 80-100%
- Health - 19.10
Clinical Research Coordinator / Wissenschaftliche*r Mitarbeiter*in 60-100% für die Augenklinik
- Health - 16.10
Faculty Position in Infectious Diseases & Immunology
- Agronomy/Food Science - 16.10
Wissenschaftliche(r) Mitarbeiter(in) "Handels- und Marktanalyse"
- Health - 16.10
Faculty Position in Interdisciplinary Cancer Research
- Computer Science - 16.10
Faculty Positions in Computer and Communication Sciences