practical information

practical information

Beyond standard education, the Swiss Universities offer continuing education in form of seminars, short-classes, and others, across a broad spectrum of topics.

Who takes continuing educations courses?

Continuing education courses address mainly to:

  • Students working to obtain a diploma
  • People wishing to strengthen their professional skills
  • Those are changing their career-path
  • People want obtain a professional certificate

Each course has different admission requirements and, therefore, you should carefully check on the Web-page and, eventually, contact the School.

We can distinguish two types of courses:

  1. Courses providing a diploma (CAS, DAS, MAS, MBA) In this case a university degree and years of experience in the field can be required. The admission can be based on the evaluation of the candidate’s dossier, and Schools can fix restrictions.
  2. Courses providing a certificate of attendance  In this case there are no specific requirements to register but the number of participants.

Where does one register?

Many Swiss universities have a continuing education service. By checking on the service’s Web-pages, you can collect all contacts or information you need.

Funding sources

Continuing education courses answer a specific market need, and, then, are in general self-funded, i.e., the participation fees pay the course it-self.
You may be able to find financial support for continuing education from:

  • Swiss Cantons offering personal funding for those having low salaries and/or temporary contracts. Note that selection procedures are selective: you should proof that the courses will open possibilities to improve your working conditions, and sometime there are age-limits.
  • Employers, foundations or organizations
  • Banks offering convenient loan schemes

Finally, Universities organize frequently continuing education courses oriented to the development of soft-skills which are often free for students and employees of the organizing University.


Continuing education course expenses can be inferred from taxes if you can argue that they are necessary for increasing your professional chances of success. Tax declaration partially depends on Cantons, therefore, you should ask specific information to the administrative office in you town. When possible, continuing education fees can be detracted from your revenue under the heading “professional expenses”. You can write off the course fees and, with some limitations, travel and accommodation expenses, and, eventually, course material. Remember that you must add to the tax declaration a detailed list of expenses and the proofs of these expenses.