EPFL, the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, is one of the most dynamic university campuses in Europe and ranks among the top 20 universities worldwide. The EPFL employs more than 6,000 people supporting the three main missions of the institutions: education, research and innovation. The EPFL campus offers an exceptional working environment at the heart of a community of more than 16,000 people, including over 12,000 students and 4,000 researchers from more than 120 different countries.
Within the faculty of engineering (STI), the Galatea Laboratory laboratory explores novel paradigms to tailor material properties locally using lasers. The objective is to ’write’ functions in materials, turning them into sophisticated components, and ultimately, systems on their own.
Our research articulates itself around three main clusters: understanding of laser-matter interaction phenomena, investigating of new manufacturing processes based on 3D direct-write laser methods and finally, exploring novel concepts of multi-scale systems based on single monolith.
The Galatea Lab is located in the vibrant Neuchâtel campus of EPFL, part of Microcity, a unique ecosystem focused on microengineering.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in laser-matter interaction and integrated photonics
Your mission :
We are looking a talented & motivated experimentalist with a strong expertise in laser optics and laser-matter interaction.
In a well-established laboratory, you will be able to explore laser-matter interaction in the femtosecond pulse duration regime.
Your tasks will specifically be to investigate a new laser exposure principle to be applied and their effects on selected materials for achieving novel types of direct-write integrated devices but also for implementing new 3D advanced manufacturing processes.
Lasers, laser-matter interaction, integrated optics, glass materials
Main duties and responsibilities include :
Your profile :
- Designing experimental plan.
- Maintaining optical set-ups.
- Implementing and realizing optimized device parts & device integration.
- Performing experiments.
- Analysing data.
- Reporting and disseminating research outcome.
- Be involved in the
We offer :
- Experimentalist with a PhD in physics, optics or related topics.
- Hands-on experience in optical setup design, specifically, involving pulsed lasers is mandatory.
- Knowledge in integrated optics and photonics is mandatory.
- Knowledge in material characterization and related investigation tools (Raman, FTIR, etc.) is a plus.
- Experience in programming user interfaces for devices and instrumentation (e.g., Python, Matlab, or similar)
- Independent, self-driven, creative, solution-oriented, open-minded, flexible and team-player.
Start date :
- Opportunity to work in an established multidisciplinary lab in ultrafast laser-matter interaction
- Opportunity to work on multidisciplinary and cutting-edge projects with links to industry.
- Opportunity to access state-of-the-art research facilities and laboratory resources.
- Opportunity to collaborate with world-leading research groups through international consortiums.
- EPFL is an international and top-ranking engineering university. It offers a young, stimulating, dynamic, interdisciplinary, and international working environment, a broad range of scientific training and networking events and hosts a vibrant entrepreneurial community.
- EPFL is an equal-opportunity employer. Candidates will be recruited based on merit.
- The Galatea laboratory is located in the campus of Neuchâtel, 45 min north of Lausanne main campus.
As soon as possible Term of employment :
Fixed-term (CDD) Work rate :
100% Duration :
2 years, renewable
Please send your application through the HR recruitment site.
It shall include a cover letter, CV, a list of publications, and contact details of three referees. Applications will be evaluated as soon as received.
Contact Information (Prof. Yves Bellouard) : yves.bellouard
epfl.ch . Remark :
Only candidates who applied through EPFL website or our partner Jobup’s website will be considered. Files sent by agencies without a mandate will not be taken into account. Reference :
Job Nb 2560