Switzerland is parliamentary federal state of 23 cantons since 1848.
- Area : 41,293 sq km. The Alps cover 60% of Switzerland’s surface area.
- Highest Peak: Dufourspitze: 4,634 m
- Largest Glacier : Aletsch 117 sq km
Largest Cities and Agglomerations
Population in thousands in 2014
City Population (city center) Zurich 1’315 (391) Geneva 570 (195) Basel 537 (169) Bern 407 (130) Lausanne 403 (134) Source: OFS
Switzerland has an old tradition in science, and it is among leading countries in scientific research. Switzerland is especially strong in chemistry and biotechnology, and appears regularly in good positions in research rankings (see www.universityrankings.ch) and numerous Swiss scientists have received the Nobel prizes in all scientific disciplines.
- The Swiss universities.
- The universities of applied sciences
- A list of important institutions and links related to science and research.
- A brochure presenting the Swiss universities can be found here.
Switzerland’s economy is based on a highly qualified labour force performing highly skilled work. The main areas include microtechnology, hitech, biotechnology and pharmaceuticals, as well as banking and insurance know-how. The service sector now employs the greatest number of people.
Most of the people working in Switzerland are employed by small and medium-sized enterprises (SME), which play an extremely important role in the Swiss economy.
- Promotion of Swiss Tourism: mySwitzerland.com
- Facts about Switzerland: swissworld.org
- Swiss news in English: Swisster
- Switzerland on Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland
Last job offers
- Microtechnics - 24.2
Sector Head, Embedded Vision Systems
- Social Sciences - 23.2
Direktor/in Hochschule für Soziale Arbeit
- Physics/Materials Science - 22.2
Experimental Physicist High Power Switchgear
- Social Sciences - 21.2
Dozent/in und Projektleiter/in (70-80%)
- Interdisciplinary - 21.2
Wissenschaftliche/r Mitarbeiter/in 80-100%
- Pedagogy/Education Science - 21.2
Junior Researcher dans le champ de recherche "Profils professionnels"
- Administration/Government - 24.2
- Life Sciences - 24.2
PhD Position - Plant-Herbivore Interactions