Terrestrial ecosystems help mitigate climate change by absorbing large amounts of carbon from the atmosphere. A new study now confirms that changing climate conditions could reduce this effect because in warmer and wetter areas, carbon stored in the soil is released back into the atmosphere more quickly.
Chemical pollution is a global threat that demands for global action, says Zhanyun Wang. An interface body similar to the IPCC could help bridge the gap between science and policy.
In experiments at the Paul Scherrer Institute PSI, an international research collaboration with ETH Zurich involvement has measured the radius of the atomic nucleus of helium five times more precisely than ever before. With the aid of the new value, fundamental physical theories can be tested.
Chemistry is one of Switzerland’s model industries. The excellent education and the high level of cooperation between the private sector, academic institutions, investors and authorities attracts researchers and companies from all over the world.
Web Portals in Chemistry
- Swiss Portal to organic chemistry:Find everything about organic chemistry at organische-chemie.ch
- The Organic Chemistry Portal offers an overview of recent topics, interesting reactions, and information on the most important chemicals.
- Find information about organic synthesis on the german webpage internetchemie (also in english).
Societies and Organisations
- The Swiss Chemical Society represents chemistry in the broadest sense in Switzerland and in international organizations.
- SGCI Chemie Pharma Schweiz is the umbrella organisation of the chemical and pharmaceutical industry across the whole of Switzerland. Its 180 member companies are active mainly in the research, development, production or sale of pharmaceutical specialities, vitamins, industrial speciality chemicals, plant protection products as well as aromas and fragrances.
Conferences and News
- Find worldwide conferences, exhibitions and trade fairs about chemistry at Chemistry-Conference.
- The online magazine Analytic News provides news and information for analytic laboratories.
2011: International Year of Chemistry
The International Year of Chemistry 2011 ( IYC 2011) was a worldwide celebration of the achievements of chemistry and its contributions to the well-being of humankind. It is an initiative of IUPAC , the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry, and of UNESCO , the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization. It involves chemical societies, academies, and institutions worldwide, and relies on individual initiatives to organize local and regional activities. Switzerland’s labs were participating offering a range of interactive, entertaining, and educational activities for all ages.
Last job offers
- Pedagogy - 5.3
Doktorand*in Englischdidaktik im Projekt TRACE
- Health - 5.3
Chargé-e de cours HES «Expertise en radiodiagnostic général» 50%
- Environment - 5.3
Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin oder Wissenschaftlicher Miarbeiter Programmkoordination 80%
- Computer Science - 5.3
Wissenschaftliche/r Mitarbeiter/in Smart Region Lab (50-60%)
- Architecture - 5.3
Assistent / Assistentin Innenarchitektur (50%)
- Agronomy/Food Science - 5.3
Modélisation d’éléments nutritifs excrétés par le bétail laitier
- Agronomy/Food Science - 5.3
PostDoc: Modellierung von Nährstoffausscheidungen in Milchviehherden
- Art and Design - 5.3
Senior Wissenschaftliche/r Mitarbeiter/in (60-80%)