physics and nanotechnology
Geneva, 19 June 2020. Today, the CERN Council announced that it had unanimously updated the strategy intended to guide the future of particle physics in Europe within the global landscape (the document is available here ).
With an X-ray experiment at the European Synchrotron ESRF in Grenoble (France), Empa researchers were able to demonstrate how well their real-time acoustic monitoring of laser weld seams works. With almost 90 percent reliability, they detected the formation of unwanted pores that impair the quality of weld seams. Thanks to a special evaluation method based on artificial intelligence (AI), the detection process is completed in just 70 milliseconds.
Quantenphysiker/in Terra Quantum AG, Rorschach
Professor/in Nanomaterial- und Oberflächenchemie (80−100 %) Fachhochschule Nordwestschweiz FHNW, Muttenz
Switzerland has been at the forefront of the nanotechnology development curve, contributing enormously to the field through inventions such as the Atomic Force Microscope, the Scanning Tunneling Microscope and many other groundbreaking discoveries like high temperature superconductors. Today, nanotechnology is one of Switzerland’s model industries. The excellent education and the high level of cooperation between the private sector, academic institutions, investors and authorities attracts researchers and nanoscience companies from all over the world.
- These universities have a physics department or a department related to applications in physics: unifr, unil, unige, unibe, unibas, EPFL and ETHZ.
- CERN in Geneva - The European Organization for Nuclear Research, is one of the world’s largest centres for scientific research. Its business is fundamental physics using particle accelerators and detectors.
The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research centre for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. It performs research in Structure of Matter; Energy and the Environment and Human Health. It is an Institute of the ETH Domain .
EMPA is a materials research institute in the ETH Domain, and is active in nanotechnology.
- Swiss Nanoscience Institute SNI in Basel is a network of research groups working in nanoscienes. Several universities and research groups are involved. The SNI combines basic science with application-orientated research.The aim is to research in nanoscale dimensions and to identify and apply pioneering new principles in life sciences, for the sustainable use of resources, and for information and communications technologies. The SNI-webpage provides information about research and events in nanoscience in Switzerland.
The Nanotechnology research program is generating new knowledge, new materials and new applications and is transferring this knowhow to potential users.
Nano-Tera.CH: Le Conseil des EPF a décidé d’allouer 40 millions de francs à l’initiative Nano-Tera.CH. Ce programme est centré sur l’application de micro- et nanotechnologies au design de systèmes embarqués, dans le but d’améliorer les conditions de vie et de sécurité des personnes, par l’observation en temps réel du corps humain et de l’environnement. Le programme est placé sous la coordination du professeur Giovanni de Micheli à l’EPFL.
Web and Societies
The Swiss Physical Society (SPS) understands itself as an open forum of physicists and does not follow any economic interests.
swissphotonics.net or short SLN (Swiss Photonics and Laser Network) is a non-profit association. It is the Swiss national technology platform for photonics and serves as a network for a common vision and growth of the photonics industry.
- Swiss Institute of Particle Physics
Swiss Nanotech Report 2010: Report about recent developments in nanotech industry in Switzerland.
Last job offers
- Economics/Business - 3.7
Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin / Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter im Bereich Digital Accounting / Controlling (70-85%)
- Social Sciences - 2.7
Wissenschaftliche/r Mitarbeiter/in 100%
- Life Sciences - 2.7
Wissenschaftliche/r Mitarbeiter/in 80%
- Research Management - 2.7
Wissenschaftliche/r Mitarbeiter/in 70%
- Physics - 2.7
- Psychology - 1.7
Faculty Manager/in (deutschsprachig) in Psychologie (w/m) 40%
- Health - 30.6
Humantoxikologin / Humantoxikologe im Bereich Biozide, Toxikologie, Risikobeurteilung und Wirksamkeit
- Life Sciences - 30.6
Experienced Laboratory Manager (80-100%)