Are you developing a promising technology in the field of applied neuroscience or neurotechnology? Do you intend to bring it to the market? This joint EPFL-Wyss Center call for projects might be for you.
EPFL and the Wyss Center have joined forces to invest in the neurotechnologies of tomorrow, and accelerate the journey from bench to market. The partnership will provide funds to selected projects for up to 100 000 CHF per project , as well as access to the combined network and resources at both institutions. The total amount allocated for this initiative is 300 000 CHF.
What is the purpose of the grant?
The grant offers the opportunity for entrepreneurs to accelerate the development of their venture by funding the:
- Product design, prototype development and/or minimum viable product (MVP) design and development of their future product or products.
- Design and development of compelling digital solutions (user interfaces/software development) for engaging user interactions.
- Technology de-risking and benchmarking (for example: further testing of the technology, comparative analyses, preclinical and clinical assessment, etc.).
- Market assessment, startup strategy, business plan (for example : end-user feedback collection and analysis, competition analysis, market segmentation etc.).
- Note: Funding can be used for requester’s salary, as long as the salary is commensurate with applicant’s level of education.
What are the pre-requisites to apply?
- Area A: Novel technology at the interface of neuroscience and the environment (architecture, design, social environment, home environment, etc.).
- Area B: Novel technology to access or interact with the brain (hardware and/or software approaches, for example, non-invasive or minimally invasive approaches to ’reading’ from and/or ’writing’ to the brain, digital therapeutics, etc.).
What are the selection criteria for success?
- Technological innovation / novelty.
- Market impact (commercial potential and business model).
- Entrepreneurial drive, engagement.
- Impact of the grant funding on achieving expected outcome(s) and accelerating the technology commercialization in a meaningful way.
How do I apply?
Applicants must fill the application form and have it approved by the EPFL professor hosting the project.
June 15th , 2020 - Last date to submit applications
July 15th , 2020 - Decisions communicated
André Catana & Isabel Casado
EPFL Startup Unit
Vice Presidency for Innovation
EPFL Innovation Park
The program is managed by the EPFL Startup Unit and the Wyss Center. The grants are co-funded by the Wyss Center and the EPFL Technology Transfer Office.