- Bertrand Bodson, Chief Digital Officer, appointed to the Executive Committee of Novartis (ECN)
- Steffen Lang, Global Head Novartis Technical Operations, appointed to the ECN
- Shannon Klinger named Chief Ethics, Risk and Compliance Officer, appointed to the ECN
- André Wyss, President Novartis Operations and Country President for Switzerland, decided to leave Novartis
- Novartis announced today changes to its senior leadership team to support the implementation of its strategic priorities. Bertrand Bodson, Chief Digital Officer, Steffen Lang, Global Head Novartis Technical Operations, and Shannon Klinger, Chief Ethics, Risk and Compliance Officer, have been appointed to the Executive Committee of Novartis (ECN). All changes are effective as of April 1, 2018. André Wyss, President Novartis Operations, has decided to step down from the ECN on April 1, 2018, to pursue his career outside of Novartis.
Vas Narasimhan, CEO of Novartis, said: "We are making these changes to harness the full strength of Novartis as we build the leading medicines company, powered by data and digital. The appointments of Bertrand Bodson, Steffen Lang and Shannon Klinger to the ECN will help us accelerate our efforts to lead in data and digital, increase our focus on operational execution, and reinforce our commitment to return more to society than we take."
"André Wyss has decided to leave Novartis so he can start a new chapter in his career. His journey is unique: he has grown from a chemistry apprentice in manufacturing all the way to the Executive Committee as the President of Novartis Operations and Country President for Switzerland. I want to thank André for his leadership, his loyalty to our company as well as his significant contributions and business impact he had over the past three decades," said Dr. Narasimhan.
"I am very grateful for all the opportunities Novartis has offered me throughout my career," said Mr. Wyss. "With our strategy clearly defined and our transformation successfully completed, I am confident the organization is well set up for future success. I can therefore leave in good faith, looking forward to exciting new chapters."
After stepping down, Mr. Wyss will be available to support a proper handover.
As a result, Novartis Operations will be split into Novartis Technical Operations and Novartis Business Services. Our Novartis Technical Operations and Quality teams across more than 60 production and supply chain sites serve millions of patients and customers every day.
Steffen Lang, Global Head Novartis Technical Operations, will report directly to the CEO and become a member of the ECN. Mr. Lang joined Novartis in 1994 and served as Global Head Biologics Technical Development and Manufacturing, and Global Head Technical R&D prior to his current role.
Philippe Barrois, Head Novartis Corporate Affairs, will lead the Novartis Business Services organization ad interim. An internal and external search for a new Head of Novartis Business Services has started. Matthias Leuenberger, Delegate Novartis Switzerland, will assume the role of Country President for Switzerland.
Bertrand Bodson, Chief Digital Officer, will become a member of the ECN. He joined Novartis on January 1, 2018 and has begun to shape the new Digital organization across Novartis. Mr. Bodson brings extensive digital leadership experience, and a proven track record in creating and implementing digital innovation and culture change across global companies such as Sainsbury Argos, Amazon and EMI Music.
Shannon Klinger will join the ECN and her role will be expanded to Chief Ethics, Risk and Compliance Officer allowing for an integrated approach to risk identification and management that is aligned with our commitment to hold ourselves to the highest ethical standards in all of our activities. She joined Novartis in 2011, as General Counsel, North America, Sandoz US. She was then appointed Global Head Legal and General Counsel for Sandoz, before assuming her current role of Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer and Head of Litigation.