Swiss professors have the highest salaries in Europe, the average wage level is about 17,000 CHF per month. But there are sometimes big differences between the universities within Switzerland in terms of wage levels.
Professor salaries in international comparison
- In Germany, salaries for professors are paid according to collective agreements and an average salary is around 7,000 euros per month, which corresponds to about 7,500 CHF (Source: Gehaltsreporter.de).
- According to the American Association of University Professors, the average salary of a full professor in the USA is $8,500 per month, or CHF 7,770 (source: naibuzz.com). Salaries at elite universities are of course much higher. At harvard University, for example, the basic salary averages $17,300 per month, or CHF 15,800.
- French universities are usually public institutions, so the government sets their salaries. Permanently employed full professors earn an average of CHF 5,400 per month (source: naibuzz.com).
- In Canada, a permanent full professor earns an average of CAD 10,400, which corresponds to approximately CHF 7,100 per month (source: glassdoor.com).
Comparison of salaries of professors in Switzerland
- Based on figures from swissuniversities and our own estimates, we have calculated an average gross salary for professors of CHF 17,198 per moth for 2018. By comparison, the salary in 2012 was 17,000 CHF. This means that the average salary has not risen significantly in the last 6 years.
- The highest salaries are paid by ETH Zurich, EPFL and the University of St. Gallen.
Gross salary of Swiss professors (incl. 13th month’s salary) in CHF; as of 01.09.2019:
|Full Professor||Assistant Professor|
ETH Zurich / EPFL
|213’487 - 280’902||151’675 - 219’090|
|University of Basel||61’440 - 250’191||126’712|
|University of Bern||150,264 - 240,421||
113,863 - 182,181 (Ass.Prof. I)
102,121 - 163,394 (Ass.Prof.II)
|Freiburg University||Upper category
154’058 - 217’261
127’741 - 183’537
118’301 - 171’218
|University of Geneva||164,524 - 222,448||126,335 - 170,815|
|University of Lausanne||163’565 - 210’793||125’250 - 158’783|
|University of Lucerne||145’690 - 206’548||113’005 - 166’420|
|University of Neuchâtel||68’927 - 192’745||1 147’196 - 171’014|
|University of St. Gallen||183’749 - 225’339||119’916 - 152’926|
|Università della Svizzera Italiana||180’000 - 220’000||110’000 - 140’000|
|University of Zurich||169,222 - 247,065||137,236 - 200,361|
Salarie differentials between female- and male professors
- There are no significant salary differences between female- and male professors at Swiss universities.
- The University of Zurich, for example, conducted a study of its own salaries in 2016 and found only very small differences between the salaries of men and women. The maximum difference for full female professors is 3.4% less, and for newly appointed female professors only 1% (source: UZH)
- At the University of Zurich and also at the University of Geneva, internal investigations into equal pay are ongoing. The PH Lucerne participated in the national wage equality dialogue and found a wage difference of max. 2.3% (source: UZH)
- For comparison, the pay gap in companies is 19.6% (2016, private and public sector, source: FSO).
- In 2016, the median age of female professors at Swiss universities was 47 years, and that of professors 51 years.
Source: BFS, UZH
Salarie differentials between professors and academic managers in the private sector
- The salary of professors is slightly higher than that of academic managers in the private sector.
- Professors’ salaries (based on average university salaries as reported by swissuniversities) are CHF 17,198 gross per month. In comparison, the salary of an academic manager in the chemical industry (natural scientist/engineer, 50 years old, university degree, upper/middle management) is CHF 14,000 (women CHF 12,100) per month (median). An academic executive in the pharmaceutical industry earns CHF 16,250 (women CHF 14,050) per month (median).
Last job offers
- Computer Science - 23.9
PhD position: Data-driven control with industrial applications
- Physics - 22.9
Full or Associate Professor in Oxide Interface Physics
- Life Sciences - 21.9
Postdoc position (100%) – Hazard assessment of nanoparticles / tissue models
- Materials Science - 21.9
Postdoc / senior scientist position for the Swiss NanoAnalytics platform
- Life Sciences - 21.9
PhD position in Nanoscience with a focus on Light / Electronmicroscopy
- Life Sciences - 18.9
Internship position in Biochemical Engineering in Development Optical Biosensors
- Electroengineering - 18.9
Entwicklungsingenieur/in Optoelektronische Systeme (m/w), 80-100%
- Life Sciences - 17.9
PhD student position in Pediatric Oncology